Thursday, February 2, 2017

How To Have An Adventure Anywhere You Go


I love, live and breathe adventures! Who doesn't love going to amazing places, discovering cool locations and experience new things? But let's face it, how often can we allow ourselves to go on some exotic vacations, or just take vacations at all? Well, one of my goals in life is to be able to have an adventure anywhere I go.

Adventures don't just happen.  You make them happen.  It does take some effort, but it's well worth it.  Wether I travel to a different country or new state, go for a hike, a bike ride or a go on road trip, I make a point to have an adventure.  How? Here are some things that I like to do; see if you can implement any of my ideas and make your next adventure that much more enjoyable and memorable.


1. Hunt For Treasure.

I have a special box I keep hidden under my bed, and it is full of small knick knacks from different places I went to or events that happened.  It contains things like trail guides, a bookmark, few shells, a heart shaped rock, feathers, small candle in a coconut shell, sea shell bracelet, a pen with my name on it, photo strips form photo booths, and once it even had a small bird's nest.  These, and many more items are the treasures I brought back from my adventures.  I'm always on a look out for treasure to take home.  And every few months I dust off my treasure chest and go thru its contents.  That alone is a small adventure and a journey back in time.  

"Treasure from mushroom hunting trip" Photo: Anya Warda Media

2. Take Creative Photos.

You don't have to be a professional photographer to take creative photos.  You don't even need an expensive camera or lenses.  Today's technology allows anybody to get creative with as little as their phone's camera! I think that is amazing, because even a child can get creative! So be on a look out for interesting shapes, plants, buildings or small animals you may find along the way.  Get your camera close to the subject.  Get it low on the ground or as high as you can.  Cut your subject in half.  Make that funny face, stick your tongue out, capture the hair blowing in the air! You'll be surprised how much fun you can have and what you may discover.

3. Have A Picnic

Dining out is fun and all, but have you ever tried packing a lunch and bringing it with you on a hike? Better yet, how about (if you can carry it with you, that is) bringing a lightweight blanket to sit on? It's no secret that outdoor exercise makes one hungry, and the same food eaten outside tastes ten times better than indoors.  To me it is almost like going back in time to when I was a child.  I used to run and play outside with friends all day, and mum would make me a sandwich or two to take outside and eat.  When I got a bit older I'd make my own sandwiches, and even plain old bread with butter and salt was oh so delicious! No kidding!

Photo source: Pixabay.com



4. Get Off The Pavement.

Only few weeks ago George and I drove out to the coast line looking for a small beach to enjoy.  We found many, but that time we decided to just stop the car along the highway some way from the coast and get out where we parked.  We scouted the area for a little bit till we found a small path leading towards the coast.  We followed and found ourselves in most magical place!  It was California but it almost looked like Scotland to me.  It was close to sunset and everything looked just magical (see the photo)! If you have the chance and opportunity, get off the beaten path.  Get off the pavement and take the sandy path instead.  Or look into that small alleyway you never paid attention to before.  Or visit that little mom and pop antique store.  I would only advise to use common sense and use safety precaution, because wandering around a shady lane behind fishy looking buildings, or getting ticks or poison ivy can make your sense of adventure disappear within a second.    

"California Coast Hike"  Photo: Anya Warda Media 

5. Slow Down

I don't think this one needs much explanation.  Our lives sometimes seem like a blur of days and months, never stopping, never slowing down.  Even going places seems way too rushed sometimes, and we stick to the agenda religiously.  It doesn't have to be that way.  Going to visit a new country is not about just seeing the sights and checking off the museums on our list.  Going on a hike is not just about reaching the end.  Slow down.  Sit down on that park bench or that little corner cafe's chair.  Feel the place, observe the locals.  Sit down on the grass if you can, close your eyes, listen to the birds, the waves, the wind.  Pray, commune with your Creator.  Read a chapter in a book, take a nap if you can.  This kind of adventure may not give you a thrilling story to tell, but it will give you more peace in your heart and soul, and you may start seeing the world in a whole new way.  

6. Meet People

Believe it or not, even simple stepping out of your house/apartment can turn into a small adventure.  The other day I had a chiropractor appointment and on my way out of the office I saw a small group of people that seemed agitated about something.  It turned out that one of them had a bunny that has escaped its carrier cage, jumped out of the car and is now hiding in bushes around the office complex.  After chatting with them a bit I joined the hunt party.  We searched, and planned, and schemed, and laughed and dove after it with blankets... It took us good 20 minutes to run around the building, but we finally caught the poor thing.  And the cool thing was, we all had fun.  Well, except for the bunny, of course.  But I met some interesting people, we had a nice little adventure together trying to round up the animal and they were so grateful for my help.  The point is, do not be afraid to talk to strangers and meet people, because you never know, you may end up sharing an adventure with them! 

Photo Source: Pixabay.com

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig